Friday 23 December 2011

My Books of 2011

I really enjoy reading, and I think you can learn a lot from it too. Sometimes it's hard to find the time, but I try and read a few pages every night before I go to sleep, it's nice and relaxing and helps take your mind off other things as well.

Here are some of the books I have been reading this year.

Fiction


The first time I tried to read this I hated it and gave up, the second time I loved it! I like books which make you think and consider circumstances you've never thought about before, and I think this one is really cleverly written with an unusual structure. Very sad though!

This was my holiday reading, and I found it slightly... I'm not sure if cliche is the word, but the main character I felt was a bit unoriginal (standard upper class mother, pressured to be perfect with a mean husband blah blah). Considers at the way we can look down on, be judgmental to, or even repelled by others, which I think is a worthwhile thing to think about.

Well it has to be said I love Jurassic Park films.. in fact any film with a big ravaging beast - Jaws, Lake Placid etc etc. So I couldn't help but enjoy the book, despite the fact it made me dream about raptors. The film is quite different, which means you don't already know what's going to happen, so be prepared for a lot of suspense! 

This book is written as a satire on the Russian Revolution and Soviet Communism. As I understand, it basically describes the history of this by using the metaphor of animals taking over a farm and trying to run it themselves. Now, history is usually something I avoid, but somehow this context makes the history so much more interesting than a text book! However, it would have been good to read it alongside a commentary so I really understood the equivalent real events and characters.

This book is very highly acclaimed by critics it seems, but I can't say I enjoyed it that thoroughly. The author certainly has a unique style of writing, but I struggled to understand what the main message behind the book (or more precisely, behind the suicides) was - maybe there isn't meant to be one. Solid characters, good description, interesting concept. But I'm struggling to be enthusiastic beyond that.

My current reading, and my last Austin! Of course I really like it, how couldn't I, it's just classic Jane! 

I really enjoyed this book, it shows how one decision impacted each of the characters for the rest of their lives. And perhaps it sounds morbid but I enjoy it when books don't always have a fairytale ending - because we all know real life isn't like that.

I took a while to get into this book. I think the main thing I enjoyed was reading about a different culture, and how it changed through generations. I struggled to warm to some of the characters. A nice read but not one that will stick with me for long I don't think.

Quite an odd read to be honest! Another unusual way of writing, it doesn't always seem to flow very well. It feels like it's written like a documentary not a story - lots of odd, random events and everyday detail mixed in with a rough storyline. So it's quite realistic I suppose. Does make you consider how the best things in life are free. But it didn't save my life.


Non-Fiction


The story of one of the key actors in bringing Christianity to China, despite it being illegal at the time. Incredible story of perseverance, and shows how God is still very much alive and working today - and the amazing things He can do if we have the faith to trust Him to work in the hardest of circumstances. Brother Yun maintains a positive attitude even when being tortured in jail. Very inspiring. 

A book I was told to read for my course, although it ended up being quite irrelevant actually! Still, interesting look at humans through history, and how several societies like the Easter Islanders and the Mayans have collapsed through over-use of natural resources. We never learn, huh.

Another book for my course, although thankfully very relevant! Extracts from a number of writings - some much more interesting and understandable than others! A good read if the subject interests you.

To be honest I would say if you read one book next year this should be it. Absolutely shocking. Discusses how badly women are still treated in many countries, and the horrors of sex trafficking, slavery and general abuse. It's mostly agreed that improving gender equality is one of the main keys to reducing poverty as it has so many knock-on effects, so this book is really tackling a major issue. Although it holds a lot of horrific stories, it is not all doom and gloom and gives a lot of practical ways to help. And if I can't persuade you, there are recommendations from Jolie and Clooney on the cover so maybe they can sway you!

No comments:

Post a Comment