Monday 9 April 2012

Spring Bake

Happy Easter everyone!

I hope you are all having a nice rest.. I get 3 weeks off :) 
I got home on Good Friday and going back on the 19th. Had a nice family Easter weekend, and also found time for an Easter egg hunt (or two..) with friends.

I haven't posted in a while so I thought I would do a little baking post, seeing as my last post was so healthy!
Here are two cakes that have featured in my life recently. 

Of course one of them is a Simnel cake a la the Muv! 
I decorated it though, do you like my daffodils?!



I used a star cutter for the flower base, then flattened the marzipan out a bit and struck a few lines through to give the petal effect! Then I used this intriguing serrated object I found in the draw to cut out the top of the stems (sorry for being ignorant, I have no idea what it is. I call it a 'daffodil stem cutter'). 


The other cake is one I made with Connor just before I left seeing as I had a bit of time and a lot of bananas on my hands! I used a simple banana bread recipe with added walnuts. If you're wondering what 500g of bananas looks like (as one often does), here it is! PS - the riper the better. I'm talking near black.


Connor was Chief Diabetes Inducer for this recipe, so whipped up a special topping from butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and walnuts. Microwaved this then stuck it in the fridge. I diced a few slices in the top of the cake when it was done to flatten out the top and also help the topping soak in, then draped over the sugary concoction.
Left it to cool and had it for breakfast. It was gooooood.


Go on, you know you want to make it. 
Need an excuse?
Remember what Easter is about and how much we have to celebrate...
Someone died for you, death has been overcome, you can have a second chance and a clean slate!

“If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come” (2 Corinthians 5:17, NIV)


2 comments: